If you are curious about what you’re going to do with those long green things included in your vegetable box this week worry no more. They’re actually called Garlic Scapes and are the “flower stalks” of the Garlic plant. Garlic Scape Pesto is easy and fast to make, preparation and cooking time can be around 20 minutes. Garlic Scape Pesto can be mixed with sauces for a delicious pasta, used as spread, or can be paired with tortilla chips!
- A bunch of garlic scapes
- A bunch of swiss chard (you cab also use beet leaves included in your veggie box)
- Handful of almonds
- 1/2 cup of olive oil
- 1/2 cup of parmesan cheese
- 1 lemon
- A pinch of salt and pepper
- Cut off the tip of the garlic scapes
- Add garlic scapes and swiss chard to food processor
- Process until chunky
- Add olive oil and parmesan cheese
- Add almonds
- Add the lemon
- Add salt and pepper to your taste
Don’t forget to cut off the tips of the garlic scapes!
Add the garlic scapes and swiss chard
Add the olive oil, lemons, almonds, and cheese
Voila! Garlic Scape Pesto!
Don’t forget to pick up your vegetable box on Tuesdays 4pm-6pm on Hancock Street, Springfield, MA.